BOOKS.

...to continue a tradition of talking to each other XD [btw, yes, this is the place where you can talk about whatever the hell you want.]

Re: BOOKS.

Postby teh hchano » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:46 am

It really is XD
teh hchano
that vulgar chick

Postby Jeni » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:05 pm

all I have to say is.... ew
Jeni
werewolf

Postby Alpha Maeko » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:04 pm

I read an instruction manual, once.
"She said 'oouf'."
"Totally."
Alpha Maeko
werewolf

Postby Fattimus Slime » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Alpha Maeko wrote:I read an instruction manual, once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8
Fattimus Slime
werewolf

Postby paniczeezily » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:11 pm

Fattimus Slime wrote:
Alpha Maeko wrote:I read an instruction manual, once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

*H again...* lollll omg i haven't seen that in foreverrrr... <3
paniczeezily
he is full of crap

Postby teh hchano » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm

I keep forgetting to ask Justin for book 3 of WoT... >< I have nothing to read now. DAJDAHj
teh hchano
that vulgar chick

Postby Jeni » Sat May 07, 2011 10:19 am

<casts scroll of resurrection on this thread>

Yah, I think most of the book discussion got spread out into their own separate threads... I forgot there was an actual book thread at some point!

Anyways, Justin and I have currently been going through Brandon Sanderson's books (the guy who took over writing the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died). Justin started with the Mistborn Trilogy and I started with his newest book, The Way of Kings (the first in a planned series of ten 1000+ page books...). Right now I am reading Warbreaker, which I really enjoy. Sanderson has a great way of making cheesy ideas (people getting power from colors, etc.) into being pretty damn original and interesting.

Here is a little introduction from Sanderson himself:
And so, we are introduced to four characters in this book. Lightsong is a God of the Hallandren people—a regular man who died in a heroic way, and was therefore brought back to life by the magic to rule as a god. (Or, at least, that's how the Hallandren people interpret it.) We have Siri, a rebellious daughter sent by her father to marry the tyrant god-king of those same Hallandren people. We have Vivenna, sister to Siri, who goes to try to rescue her sibling from her fate. And then, there's Vasher—whose motivations and goals are his own. (You can read about him in the prologue.)

The magic is one I've wanted to put into a book for a long, long time and the setting—with its vibrant color and tropical climate—is very different from the worlds of MISTBORN or ELANTRIS. This is the book I wrote when I, myself, got engaged and married, and I think it had a great influence on how I interpret the world.

Anyways, you can get the digital version of it for FREE from the official website! I don't have an e-reader so I actually bought the book =P, but it's definitely worth it. I would also recommend reading Sanderson's other books too if you haven't, but this one is probably a little under the radar. Also, I like the cover..

Here are links to the free copy of Warbreaker found on Sanderson's website:
PDF version
HTTP version

Also, here is a link to the first few chapters of the Way of Kings if you are interested, it was also a great book:
http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/06/prel ... ht-archive

I'm also open to other fantasy suggestions! I've mostly read Patrick Rothfuss (yay!), George RR Martin, Terry Goodkind (read about halfway thru the Sword of Truth series...), Mercedes Lackey (liked the Obsidian Trilogy she wrote with James Mallory and I like the Last Herald Mage books, but the rest are meh), Karen Miller (ehhh first 2 were good, 3rd was ok, haven't read the latest one...), Trudi Canavan, Katherine Kerr, some of Raymond Feist, and read the first book of Wheel of Time book, which I wasn't crazy about...
Jeni
werewolf

Postby teh hchano » Sun May 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Omg @ your icon.... xDDD
teh hchano
that vulgar chick

Postby Fattimus Slime » Mon May 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Jeni wrote:(the first in a planned series of ten 1000+ page books...).

what.

Ten books? Man. Nuh uh. I can barely stomach George Martin's ridiculous hiatuses between his books, and there's only three left! Then there's probably another four year wait for Doors of Stone from Pat Rothfuss...

Anyway, I think about a year ago, I read The Warded Man and The Desert Spear, first two books of a trilogy. They're okay. I mean, I'm going to try not to spoil anything, but... well, they're great books until the actual Warded Man shows up, then it gets pretty ridiculous in the drama and ham. The first half of the second book deals with a completely different character, and that part is really good too... then it gets back to the Warded Man again, and the book just falls apart for me. Seriously, it's pretty damn good except that the title character pretty much ruins every scene he's in, which is kind of a big deal I suppose.

I am spinning around here in my chair trying to see if there are any books around me I haven't already suggested to Heather (which she promptly goes "pffft fuck that" because she's stupid)...
Fattimus Slime
werewolf

Postby Jeni » Mon May 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Fattimus Slime wrote:
Jeni wrote:(the first in a planned series of ten 1000+ page books...).

Ten books? Man. Nuh uh. I can barely stomach George Martin's ridiculous hiatuses between his books, and there's only three left! Then there's probably another four year wait for Doors of Stone from Pat Rothfuss...

Well that Warbreaker book is a standalone book at least... I'm almost done with it and really like it.

As for Way of Kings... I think it may be worth the wait, the first book was really good. Sanderson seems to churn books out pretty fast anyways, so maybe it won't be several years in between?? I could also be wrong about the 10 books thing, but I feel like I read that in an interview or something...
Jeni
werewolf

PreviousNext

Return to Talk to each other!